Enlarged Thyroid Treatment
Treatment for enlarged thyroid
For iodine deficiency-induced enlarged thyroid:
- Supplement of iodized salt;
- Intake of more foods which are rich in iodine;
- Taking thyroid supplements.
Removal of the causes:
- Stop the intake of goitrogens, such as such as thiouracil and related antithyroid compounds, which produce an enlarged thyroid.
- If the excessive intake of iodine is a reason, reduce or stop it.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs for inflammatory goiter;
- Anti-thyroid drugs;
- thyroid supplements;
- Oral L-T4 for the lack of thyroid hormone.
- Thyroid surgical resection, for thyroid cancer, tumor, or huge goiter, or if the drug therapies ineffective.
Prevention and treatment for complications:
- Prevention and treatment of anemia, supplement of iron, vitamin B12, folic acid;
- Prevention and treatment of thyroid storm;
- Prevention and treatment of invasive bulging eye;
- Prevention and treatment for lower extremity edema.